Carnival Fantasy Babysitting Cruise Review–Day Two–Sea Day

On our first sea day, we discovered that Binko hated Camp Carnival, but we still had fun on the golf course and on the waterslides.

I got up about 6:00 to go get us some coffee and to pick up some milk for Binko’s bottle.  I returned to the room to find Binko awake!  We sipped coffee and milk for awhile and waited for the other two to wake up.  Then we all went up to the Lido for breakfast.  We found that the kids were mostly interested in the pancakes, while we eat eggs, sausage, grits, and fresh fruit.  After breakfast we took an exploratory walk around the ship.

The Carnival Fantasy

The Fantasy is one of Carnival’s older ships, but like the Sensation that we sailed on last year, has benefited from the 2.0 upgrades. In addition to updating the decor they’ve added the water park and the putt putt golf course on the upper decks.  The pool deck has been updated with the addition of two new bars as well as Guy’s Burger Joint and the Blue Iguana Cantina (more on these later.)  The ship is fine–the decor is reminiscent of 80’s Las Vegas, but it is clean and well-maintained.  The crew is helpful and friendly. There are no balcony cabins, but there are a few suites.  Our room was a midship oceanview on the Riviera deck, which is the lowest deck for passenger cabins.

The temps were still cool and it was too breezy to get in the water so we went up to the golf course for awhile.  The boys loved it and liked to roll the balls around with their hands as much as they like hitting them with the putters.  We goofed around up there until lunchtime in the Lido.

Camp Carnival

One of our reasons for choosing this cruise was that Carnival allows two-year-olds in Camp Carnival. The age range for this group in 2-5, so that Binko would be in camp with his older brother Boppo.  Boppo had loved Camp Carnival on board the Sensation, and we hoped that Binko would as well.  Our plan was to put them in camp for about an hour and a half in the afternoon so we could relax in the adult Serenity area, and then put them back in for about 3 hours in the early evening so that we could eat in the main dining room and go see a show.

We dropped both kids off at about noon.  They gave me a phone so that they could call me in case of emergency.  Boppo was happy to see all the toys and the other kids, but Binko started crying when he realized he was going to be left there.  We decided that we would go and see if he adjusted.  I went to the library to pick up a book to read as I like to read REAL BOOKS when I am on a cruise.  The Fantasy library was small, but I had no trouble finding something (The Homesman) to read.  There is no check out or in–it works on the honor system.  We found two empty loungers in the Serenity.  I read for about 10 minutes and then started dozing off, when Mikey the cruise director comes loudly over the intercom to announce the afternoon schedule of trivia, bingo and pool contests.  I would come to hate the sound of Mikey’s voice, mostly because it was always at top volume.

I did get a few minutes of sleep when the Camp Carnival phone rang.  They said Binko was unhappy and could I pick him up.  I certainly didn’t want to force him to stay in camp, so I picked him up and brought him back to the stateroom for a nap.  B. had already arranged to pick up Boppo at 1:30 to go on the water slides, so I read while I waited for Binko to fall asleep.  He was just about asleep when we heard Mikey’s voice blaring from the hallway.  I finally got Binko to sleep, and when he woke up, B. and Boppo returned from the water park, and it was cocktail hour!  We enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine from the box we brought on board, and then it was time for dinner up in the Lido.

Meals in the Lido

The buffet line usually has a couple of items from the menu in the dining room, as well as a pasta dish, soup, a salad bar, and a big roast that is carved to order.  There is also the Pizza Pirate which is open 24 hours a day and serves really good pizza.  Sometimes we could interest the kids in something from the buffet, but they would have eaten pizza for every meal if we let them.  Boppo discovered the self-service ice cream machine and ended up helping himself after every meal.

After dinner, we walked around the ship and then returned to the stateroom where the adults read and the kids watched cartoons (things that we don’t let them watch at home on Cartoon Network.)  We were all asleep at 10:00 to get ready for our first port day tomorrow in Cozumel.

Leave a Reply